Monday 3 June 2013

I've had ENOUGH!

Yes you heard me...I've had ENOUGH!

Had enough

Enough of listening to my own negative self talk saying I'm not good enough, what's the point I'm not worth it and back away from the chocolate!

Does that sound familiar?

Now I may be a personal trainer and nutrition coach, but I am also human and still suffer the usual stresses of life such as negative self talk and low days. I wasn't always a trainer though so I still have 30 odd years of old learned habits and past experiences with me. Old habits that you have had for a while are harder to change...but not impossible. You may believe you cannot change but you CAN, you just need to want to and want it enough.

You see the last year or so, I've just not wanted it enough. I actually wanted chocolate and biscuits more. That's an old habit that's been with me for decades. I've been getting really annoyed with myself for eating so much sugar, I should know better being a trainer, right? How can I tell other people to cut it out when I am fighting the same demons myself?

Well, I have always believed that honesty is the best policy, and I think many of you out there believe personal trainers to be super human and never eat junk. Well, there are some...but many I know still struggle the same as you. Sugar is actually proven to be 4 times more addictive than cocaine. Coupled with days when you are feeling low, tired, hormonal, emotional, lonely...whatever it may be, sugar causes feel good chemicals to release in the brain to make us feel good, just the same reason junkies take drugs. It's our 'hug'.

Depressed young woman eating chocolate

WOW! Learning that has made me realise just what we are dealing with here. No wonder it's so tough. So, is there an answer?

Well I don't think there is any one answer but several things that need to be addressed and taken on board.

1. Emotional reasons - what else is going on in your life that is making you reach for sugar or other comfort food. Can it be addressed?

2. Acceptance - if nothing can be changed at the moment then you need to accept when you eat foods that will not bring you health. Just do the best you can and don't feel guilty.

3. Enjoy occasionally - telling yourself that you're not allowed any treats will make you resent healthy eating and lead to a mass blowout. It is important to omit for a short time if you need to kick start fat loss and cleanse your body, but as a eating for life strategy it is not a good one. Relax your eating when out with friends or enjoy something now and then.

4. Get your friends and family on side - don't try and struggle on your own, share what you want to do with people and ask for their support. Tell them to understand what you want to achieve and not sabotage your efforts. If they don't, then it's not a reflection on you but all about them and their inability to take control of their own health. If you make changes then maybe they will have to too, and they may not be ready.

Ok so back to me and what this blog is going to be about...

I'm going the whole hog and making myself accountable by going public. This is a really good way of keeping you on your toes! I find in our own client online groups, those that post their before photos, measurements and what they want into our private groups, get the best results than those that just lurk.

But I'm ready, as I have had ENOUGH!

No more negative 'I can't' attitude.
No more sugary crap.
No more lacking belief in myself.
I CAN do this.
I WILL do this!

Stats coming up in the next post... 



www.EmmaBFitness.com
www.FabulousinaFortnight.co.uk
www.BoffosBootcamp.com
www.OptimisationPlan.com
www.7in7for7.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment